SEED CAPITAL AND ENTERPRISE
FOR SUSTAINABLE TOURISM
Financial Goal: US $ 2.4 M by 2024
Gender marker: 2
What is it?
Sustainable tourism represents a clear alternative to promote livelihoods that guarantee the conservation of biodiversity. This is why this BIOFIN financial solution focuses on developing financial mechanisms to increase employment, promote resilience through the COVID19 pandemic, reduce wildlife poaching, prevent loss of cultural and natural capital, and achieve a more inclusive and equitable development for communities, especially for women and indigenous peoples through sustainable tourism in rural communities.
Support entrepreneurship, business focus and resilience in sustainable tourism initiatives led by rural communities, women and indigenous peoples in areas of high importance for the protection of biodiversity, such as buffer zones of Protected Wild Areas (ASP) and Corridors Biological.
CONAGEBIO, MNICR, SBD, AUGE-UCR, Banco Popular.
– Business incubator for indigenous territories
– Support for the CREA-C AUGE-UCR program.
– Maturity program for tourism in Biological Corridors.
BIOFIN methodology results:
- Avoid future expenses
- Spend better
- Generate income
Contribution to the SDGs:
5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15.
1. MoU signed with the Development Banking System and MINAE.
2. 540 practitioners involved in sustainable tourism training (283 women, 256 men) including indigenous territories (450 people) and biological corridors (59 people).
3. 12 tourism projects in indigenous territories (6) and biological corridors (6) are being processed with SDP-UNDP, the UN Joint Program and the Rural Development Institute (INDER).